Saturday 16 January 2016

Quiz Review - The New Crown, South Shields





Image result for the new crown south shields

Wednesday - 8pm - New Crown, South Shields

It has been a while since I attended a new quiz as such. For the past year or so I have been sticking to established quizzes I know, but given that I had a free night this Wednesday whilst the Sunderland Quiz League continues its winter break, I thought I would pop along to the New Crown in South Shields for their quiz night.

The New Crown itself is based just of the Coast Road (opposite the finish of the Great North Run). The quiz night has been running since June and starts each Wednesday at 8pm. They did advise me to get there early to secure a seat, but that wasn't an issue as there were only around 5-6 teams involved. I got the impression that due to it being January and the weather, this is usually better attended.

In fact, there seems to have been a lot of new quiz nights in South Shields launched recently so it could be the case of increased competition.

Anyway, the quiz itself is the Redtooth "Its Your Round" style quiz. I am sure many of you reading this have taken part in Redtooth of this style previously (connections, wipeout,  Top 5). Rather than review or comment on that format, I am going to post up a little separate entry on Redtooth next week. 

The quiz is ran well and despite the pub being full of little nooks and crannies, and rather large at that, there was no cheating from what I gathered which is always a good sign. The quiz started 8pm prompt and was all done and dusted by around 9.20pm. You will be all too familiar with quiz nights which start late and finish late, the norm rather than the exception, so it was refreshing to have a quiz that was delivered in a timely manner.

As with many Redtooth events, the host is one of the bar staff, He does a great job of keeping the quiz running smoothly and has a good rapport with the players. Entry is £1 per player.

The night ends with a raffle/open the envelope style game with the jackpot standing at £150 next week.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daniel,

    Great read, however I was just wondering what you mean by it being a 'good sign' when people are cheating?

    Cheers,

    Stoo

    ReplyDelete