Friday 22 August 2014

This Week I Didn't Know...

Picture Rounds

1.

This picture makes it a little easier than the one I encountered this week as I didn't see anything other than the face and the top of the collar. Seeing the strip in this manner would have probably lead to a correct guess but based on face alone, this was a bit of toughie. One of the quizzes I attend particularity likes Championship footballers for some reason.

2. 

Similar picture to this presented to us. A million and one names ran through my head for this, and without giving the answer away for those of you trying to come up with yourself, I must of thought of every front man apart from....

3. 

Annoying! Annoying! Annoying!....I watch Modern Family (which is a great show by the way!) and I knew Sofia was her first name, wrote it down straight away expecting the surname to come.....45 minutes later it still hadn't. Used the old Alphabet tricks etc but nothing.

Answers

1. Jordan Rhodes
2. Bonn Scott
3. Sofia Vergara



Questions

1. How many stories did each of the World Trade Towers have?

Not the greatest quiz this one and I simply have never even came across this before. I had a feeling I had heard a report about a floor 102 on a 9/11 Documentary some time ago so knew it must be higher than that. Went for 140

2. Shrub Hill is a railway station in which Cathedral City?

Again the name meant nothing. The amount of rail/underground questions I get wrong is higher than it should be and despite doing a little work on this I had not even heard of Shrub Hill. I knew a few cities it wasn't (i.e. Durham) but in terms of what it actually was, my guess was not even close.

3. Silvovitz is made from which Fruit?

Ah Food and Drink defeating me again. Never heard of this.....my go to answer on questions like this is Pears!

4. What was the first novel ever written on a typewriter?

Is this a chestnut? As soon as I heard it I thought it was but then my mind was blank on an answer. Pretty duff question and I have yet to research the answer but the answer he was looking for is below.


5. Who wrote the autobiography "Wishful Drinking"?

These types of questions usually lead to me developing a list of possible candidates. The word drinking let to a whole range of answers being suggested and without knowing its hard to work this one out through guess work.

Questions


1. 110
2. Worcester
3. Plums
4. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
5. Carrie Fisher



Despite this the picture round and question round alone would have gave us victory. In fact one of the above answers would have given us a chance at the tiebreaker but a pretty disastrous music round led to a 2nd place finish. Listening to "Sounds of the Sixties" every week on BBC Radio 2 still hasn't paid off.




2 comments:

  1. Pfft @ question 4. My initial reaction was how on earth would this be provable. A cursory search suggests this is because Twain himself said it, so it must be right, right???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q4 is even more complicated. Twain, in his autobiography (a cracking, if not crackpot book, btw), Said Tom Sawyer was the first significant book written on a typewriter. Note: not the first, just the most significant. However, later research has shown he was mistaken in his memory, as he submitted Life on the Mississippi in typewritten form before Sawyer. You could argue LOTM is not as significant as Sawyer to make Twains statement credible, but it does invalidate the original question.

    To muddy the Mississippi waters a little further, the novelist Henry James used a typewriter before Twain. He, however, did not type on it himself, but dictated to a typist.

    ReplyDelete