Tuesday 20 May 2014

Charity Shopping for Reference

I have mentioned on a few occasions some of the most useful and enjoyable reference books I have come across and intend on putting something like a top 10 together in the future. But one issue people have raised with me, especially when they see my book shelf, is the cost of acquiring so many. Even though bargains can be found online, buying books new can be a costly purchase. Even second hand retailers online and places like ebay and the amazon marketplace can charge high prices for big tomes of information.

A few months back I decided to try charity shops, mainly hunting for quiz books but discovered many of the high street brands stock good quality reference books. Books that are long out of print, hard to get hold of and usually they have been well looked after and are in mint condition. As someone who never really went into charity shops previously, I was somewhat surprised. I found myself picking up great quality reference books, books I did not know existed too, for next to nothing. You can literally enter a charity shop with a tenner and get together more reference books than you can carry!

I have got the latest Hutchinsons Encylopedia just this morning for £1, mint condition. Other recent finds include Guinness Book of Knowledge for £1, a fantastic AA illustrated guide to Britain for 50p, Trevor Montagues A-Z of Sport for 50p, various quiz books for pennies and other such gems. Couple this with the mounds of non fiction you can pick up for pennies!

This may be old news to a lot of people, but for anyone with a high expenditure on books such as I have, it is well worth hunting down the book sections in your local charity shop to see whats on offer.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I go into a charity shop, and see something like the A-Z of Sport for 50p, and I die a little inside having paid full whack for it!

    I like old copies of Pears and Whittakers, which you can sometimes find in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find loads of great bargains. I use places like Waterstones as well but they're so expensive when you can buy the same book - often in mint condition - for a tenth of the price.

    ReplyDelete