Tuesday 6 November 2012

Recommendations: Sport

Posting my Mythology suggestions last night gave me an idea to post up some more themed links to books which have helped me in my quizzing. I have indeed bought a heck of a lot of books over the years so have a good range to compare each title with. Over the next few weeks I am going to post up some recommendations in each of the quiz categories....Starting with Sport.



Trevor Montague is a name I am sure you have heard of with relation to reference works. His A-Z of Everything is universally popular but the sporting compendium (A-Z of Sport) certainly deserves more praise. Although dating from 2004, just after the Athens Olympics, this book has vital information about the history, rules, winners, losers and everything else you would need to know about Sport. Essential for a quizzing book shelf!







The Chambers Fact Finder Series are always worth a mention and the Sport one is good too. Covering similar ground to the title above this is slightly more up to date (2008), slightly easier to work around and contains a range of different facts.




The Olympics comes up a heck of a lot in quizzes and I have recommended this before and it is well worth mentioning again. A treasure trove of goodies that is worth its weight in quizzing gold.




If its unusual facts and information you are after there are a few Miscellanies I would definitely suggest. All are great in their own right with superb facts you won't have seen anywhere else! (Schotts is a great series and that own is well worth a look)






And finally if you want simply to test yourself out and see what you already know about Sport then by far the best Sporting Quiz book I have come across is the one from Whittakers...Covers every sport, range of difficulties, unique questions...ideal













2 comments:

  1. Great selection of Sport books. I am looking forward to your suggestions on the other usual quiz topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I endorse your recommendation of Trevor's great book, and also David Wallechinsky's book on the Olympics. This was invaluable when I was preparing for doing the summer olympics on Mastermind. He has also produced a similar book o0n the Winter Olympics.

    ReplyDelete