Friday 12 October 2012

Eggheads

I can thank David Rainford for one matter.......the hits on my blog have gone crazy in the last few weeks! (Bear in mind I don't often tend to look at the hits in much detail)

Anyway, when I noticed a huge spike I decided to have a look on the page which informs me of what "search terms" have been used to find The Quiz Addict. There has been a clear theme recently and my list is full of terms linked to David, CJ De Mooi and Eggheads. Clearly there still is a lot of interest in the show!

The show has not changed a great deal without CJ on board, not that I was expecting it to, but I always used to like him on the team. In case you may not have read it already the reason CJ left Eggheads was to pursue an acting career which you get daily updates on if you follow him on Twitter. On Eggheads he was never the strongest quizzer but anyone who follows the UK quizzing scene may be aware CJ did actually put in great effort to attend events across Europe, relocated to Wales to get involved in a better quiz scene (as I learned from the Quizzers New Shoots documentary which I have linked to before) and took quizzing very seriously. He has of course got other passions being an active Chess Player and now is involved in running the game nationally I believe.

He always maintained that the person he was on Eggheads was some sort of "character" and he was "playing a role". At the end of the day if that is true, it worked! He certainly divided opinion and played up the fact that he knew this! I know people who watched the show in the hope of him getting beat or seeing how he acted, to the point where they would turn off if they noticed he wasn't on that weeks show. In all fairness, despite being better quizzes, I don't think you can say that about many other Eggheads.

David Rainford though, aka the new Egghead, has come in and slipped right into proceedings. both Barry and Pat Gibson came into the show on the back of Are You An Egghead? thus had that backdrop but one minute CJ was there and the next we were saying hello to David. The team who chose David have certainly done a great job and although I am missing the CJ-ways, David has probably strengthened the team.

I would very much like to hear the thoughts of others on the New Egghead?

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, Eggheads has lost something with CJ going .He livened things up.Wonderful facial expressions .How does Kevin learn and memorise all that tripe about obscure pop stars . More real music please as Daphne once said.I'm addicted to the show

    ReplyDelete