Sunday 10 June 2012

When less is more.....

Thursday Night was a horrible rainy night. The kind of night when it is best to stay indoors with a warm mug of tea and the television. But I don't let a minor thing such as a torrential downpour put me off quizzing. So, looking like I had just stepped out of the shower I walked into the usual pub for the quiz and it was rather empty. I was expecting this for two reasons a) the rain and b) Coldplay were playing the Stadium of Light to which pretty much everyone I knew went to!

By the start time there were only 5 teams....my usual 2 person team, a couple of teams of 4 and a massive team of 8. Now usually I am all for "the more the better" in terms of quiz attendance and love nothing more than the quizzes being crowded. Also, for the future of the quiz in this particular pub its nice to see it full. Obviously, low attendances every week would not be good but what happened on Thursday was I had one of, if not the, most enjoyable quiz night in a long time!

With there being only a few teams everyone seemed more relaxed, there was more between rounds banter than usual (sheets are handed in after every round), discussion of answers and general chat between the teams which doesn't occur when its usually busy. Also, the players knew who each team was so there was a friendly rivalry going on and it was just a good atmosphere all round. Hence the title of the post...less is more! The pub even offered extra prizes (although the bottles of Stout it offered were probably being given away as they could not sell them) and everyone seemed to win one of the many "free pint" tiebreakers.

An all round excellent night and it would be nice to have such a more "social able" quiz on a regular basis!

No comments:

Post a Comment