Thursday 24 May 2012

World Quiz Championships - All Signed Up

I mentioned a few weeks ago that the 2012 World Quiz Championships will have a venue in Edinburgh as well as Lichfield and tons of venues across the globe. Thankfully things have fell in my favour and I am now able to attend on Saturday June 2nd north of the border! Having the WQC Scottish venue has helped me massively as its a mere hour or so from Sunderland and not so costly as heading South.

I know full well I am going to have a very lowly placing in the run of things and my expectations are indeed low, but that does not stop me being very excited about taking part. It will be great experience for me as a young quizzer and give me an idea of the level I need to raise my game too. 

The categories are below.....

Culture
Architecture, Fine art, Museums, Mythology, Philosophy, Religion, World cultures
Entertainment
Ballet, Classical music, Film Music, Jazz & World Music, Opera, Pop music, Radio, Television
History
Civilisations, Current Affairs, Exploration, Famous People, History
Lifestyle
Costume, Design, Fashion, Food & Drink, Handicrafts, Health & Fitness, Human Body, New Age beliefs, Products & Brands, Tourism
Media
Comic strips, Comic books, Graphic novels, Film, Language, Literature
Sciences
Exact sciences (Chemistry, Physics etc.), Fauna, Flora, Social sciences
Sport & Games
Games, Sports, Hobbies & Pastimes, Records & achievements (in context of genre)
World
Cities, Human Geography, Physical Geography, Inventions, Space, Technology, Transport


The way the WQC seems to work is that you complete a paper on each of the main subjects and your lowest score is taken away meaning 7 papers count. Having this list has been handy as it means I can do some pre WQC studying. Not that Im expecting to gain any points doing this but it will give a focus to my reading for the next fortnight or so and also give me a good grounding in subjects for future use. There is not a great deal I can do in two weeks but for subjects such as "Graphic Novels" which I know virtually nothing about it will introduce me to subjects I am going to need to scratch up on.

It would be great to hear from others going to the event and here is hoping I just don't embarrass myself too much.

2 comments:

  1. I have no affiliation with the people who write the WQC as far as I know, but if you want to at least know something about graphic novels, look at the Wikipedia page for Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. It is the bestselling series among children's graphic novels. Also, know that Amy Ignatow's Popularity Papers series is considered to be the female version of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, even if it happens in a totally different setting with different characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The following link might be of some use for academic categories that you don't know much about and just want a basic association of the most famous thing about many academic topics. http://ai.stanford.edu/~csewell/culture/


    Good luck at WQC. I wish I could compete this year, but unfortunately WQC happens to coincide with when my sister-in-law's book tour comes to my area.

    ReplyDelete