Tuesday 1 May 2012

Mastermind Grand Final Preview 2012




The last of the Semi Finals concluded on Friday and the line up for the Grand Final of Mastermind 2012 is complete. It has been a very entertaining series despite the BBC playing around with the scheduling...including a last minute shift of the final to the 11th May!

Gary Grant seemed the most impressive in the heats. Gary has appeared in the final of Only Connect and plenty of people on the UK quizzing scene will be cheering him on come the final. If I had to make a prediction I would go with Gary and purely because of the fact is a friend on facebook, I will be rooting for him!

Andy Tucker though too has a very strong quizzing background being a finalist on Brain of Britain which is no easy feat by any means. We have seen so many times in this series how “long-winded” questions and an imbalance in sets has played huge roles in deciding the outcomes of episodes and it could well do so in the final. I hope not but the series has attracted some criticism in parts from quizzers so far in both these areas!

Nick Reed has commented on The Quiz Addict before. I did mention at the time of his first round that he had perhaps the easiest SS round (on Football Grounds) I have ever heard on the show. I did not say that in any way to be harsh or discredit his performance and he has since proven his quizzing credentials by some solid GK rounds so well deserves his place in the final. I fully expect him to be in the mix.

Maya Davis enters the final as the only women. It is of course great to see and she proved me wrong in both of her previous wins. I think based on previous shows the GK scores of the other quizzers may prove too high for her but you never know. She has proved me wrong twice already and I wouldn’t put it past her doing it a third time.

Mark Wyatt and David Love too both have shown they are not phased by the chair. Solid scores throughout and impressive quizzing has earned them a place in the final.

Either way it should be a great end to the series. If forced to predict I would go for

1. Gary Grant
2. Nick Reed
3. Andy Tucker

Good luck to all contestants!

No comments:

Post a Comment