Tuesday 17 April 2012

The Quiz Addict Quiz Trek 2012 #9




The Isis, Sunderland

Since my move to Sunderland I have discovered a number of pubs I simply did not where there. From the outside it is hard to tell where The Isis is, but after one visit I certainly won't forget. I have always struggled to find a decent Monday night quiz wherever I am quizzing so its nice to find somewhere with a good crowd, good quiz and plenty going on.

The Isis has recently been reformed I am told and it shows, its a very traditional, cosy real ale pub in the city centre just enough out of the way to be outside of the bustle and bustle. They call Monday night "The Big Quiz" night as it involves so much more than just the quiz.

I must admit, when I first walked in and saw the barman setting up Red Tooth sheets I was a bit disappointed. You may have heard me mention Red Tooth before and to be honest I quite like the quizzes they produce, which I know isn't a popular opinion amongst quizzers. I was hoping for a original quiz produced by a dedicated quizmaster but nevertheless Red Tooth it was, and just like every other Red Tooth quiz I have done, I enjoyed it!

The quiz seems to be quite popular as they pack a diverse night into the proceedings. The Quiz is the Red Tooth usual with current affairs, pictures, connections, trivia trial, top 5 and wipeout rounds. Apart from some obscure current affairs questions I thought the level was quite good this week. I am always too cautious on the wipeout round though. I managed to name all 5 clubs which Teddy Sheringham had played for, managed to ace the trivia trail round and put a connection together despite failing on one answer. Did struggle on the uk "Top 3 single" with "Sun" in the title though and as I said a few current affairs round. However, considering there were only two people in the team 41/60 was a pleasing score and one we have won a Red Tooth quiz with before. Guess what won it? 42......two teams landed 42 which was a shame but we enjoyed it anyway.

On yet more positive notes about the quiz there was no cheating, no one sneaking to the loo with the mobiles etc......probably because the quizmaster said "Anyone googling will get a good beating". The tone of the whole night is light hearted and fun, ideal for a Monday! The quiz is delivered at a good pace too!

Other events to make the night fun 13-card bingo (you have 13 playing cards per team, the quizmaster goes through his deck and shouts out cards, first team to get rid of 13 win) and a Deal or No Deal game. This is a raffle and if your number comes up you have a go at a version of the game with real boxes and money. 1p to £250 being the range. An offer of £45 was made last night, but greed kicked in and 50p was won!

And the whole night ends with Fun Fortunes from Red Tooth. A family fortuned style game with prizes of beer tokens. I am going to go more into this in another post but suffice to say I did enjoy it, glad it wasn't part of the quiz normal and ended up winning and landing beer tokens for next week! 

All in all then The Isis is a great way to spend a Monday evening and is a warm welcoming, friendly and relaxed pub!

No comments:

Post a Comment