Monday 2 April 2012

The Quiz Addict Quiz Trek 2012 #8




The Kings Arms, Deptford, Sunderland

Now that I am finally settled in my new home it is time once again to venture out quizzing and what better place to start than a quiz I had heard about some time ago. The Kings Arms is located just outside of Sunderland City Centre, less than a 5 minute walk away and is a traditional, real ale pub. It is really in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around it but inside its got a nice unique feel.

The quiz started at 5pm which is an unusual time, and hopefully if I can find another quiz on a Sunday night this will give me the chance of two quizzes every Sunday :). There is no quizmaster as such as the prizes are pint cheques. The quiz is handed out at around 5pm and you hand it in when you are finished. The results are posted up later in the week.

The format is 50 question split into ten rounds....history, arts, sport, music, current affairs etc. There are no gimmicks just purely general knowledge based questions. I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed sifting through these as in my experience of pub quizzing in this area its rare to find a quiz that covers all these areas and has no gimmicks. The difficulty was a nice mixture with each set of 5 containing usually one easy one, two medium and two what I would call hard questions. There were no old chestnuts, some great questions to get into and I really  enjoyed it! A good way to spend Sunday afternoon. 

The only downside of course you may think is with paper based quizzes in pubs there is a chance of cheating? Kings Arms isnt the sort of place and from what I gather those playing would not want to cheat. It would be better with a quizmaster I feel but its still enjoyable the way it is.

Even if you do not want to do the quiz, I would still recommend anyone in the Sunderland area to try this pub for a pint or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment