Monday 12 March 2012

The Quiz Addict Quiz Trek 2012 #6




Chaplins, Sunderland
Thursday Nights

Due to the stresses and strains of moving, I have found myself with a severe lack of  quiz action lately but in my first week living in Sunderland I managed to get back on board. A friend of mine has ran this quiz for quite a few years now at the friendly Chaplins bar in Sunderland City Centre and this is about the third time I have been, the first however in 2012.

The quiz is rather popular and usually the pub is heaving but being March time I am told it tends to die off for a few weeks. There were still a decent number of teams on show on Thursday and the usual friendly atmosphere. 

The quiz opens with a picture round and moves onto a music round before going into sets of questions on current affairs, sport, film and tv and pot luck. Add to that a connections round and a wipeout round and you get a pretty diverse quiz. The questions are always well put together, thought provoking and tends to throw a good mix of general knowledge in amongst the pop culture which is always a good thing.

The standard was pretty high with a top score only about 8-9 of maximum and a few teams in and around that total. The wipeout round plays a key part in this however.

There is plenty else going on in the quiz with a prize for team names (based on a theme....i.e. combine a movie with hospitals....Emergency Ward 007 etc), a tempting jackpot which goes sometimes as high as £400. I believe this is getting capped at £100 so in terms of cash prizes its one of the biggest I have been to in the area.

All in all partly due to the fact that my friend runs it, and I have as different team as oppose to me and someone else, this is one of the most enjoyable quizzes I attend and anyone in the local area should try giving it a go. Good pub, good quiz!



No comments:

Post a Comment