Wednesday 27 July 2011

Quiz Book Recommendations #1 - The Pub League Quiz Book 1


(Sorry about the terrible image, struggled to find one online that wasn't microscopic)

When it comes to Quiz books I am, it must be said, an obsessive. Every time I see a quiz book I haven't got I have to add it to my collection, hence why I try avoid ebay and amazon searches for them! I would dread to think the amount of money I have spend on them in recent years but its all been worth it as I love nothing more than dipping into a good quiz book and testing myself and learning something new. Over the next few weeks I am going to have a look at some of my favorites to give readers an idea of the best ones out there and ones to keep an eye out for.

The first in this series is the excellent Pub League Quiz Book 1.

This edition was published in 1988 (when I was merely 3) and can be picked up easily on ebay and I think I paid no more than £1 for it. Its issued by the QuizMasters of Great Britain and contains a section of actual questions from the National Pub Quiz League itself.

The Book opens with what it calls 5 Family Quizzes. These are intended to be played in some sort of came and you get scoring charts to copy if needed and a brief set of rules but you can just as easily use the book on your own. Each quiz has 200 questions broken down into pages of 20 each on subjects including pot luck, sports, entertainment, science, the UK and geography. In each page there are 7 easy questions, 7 medium questions and 6 it consider hard. This gives a nice balance and a nice mix to the proceedings and will test most quizzers. I have definitely learnt a lot from this book and the questions are so well written its clear time has been taken putting the whole thing together.

Perhaps the section that interested me most was the back section which has a 9  actual Pub Quiz League sets of questions in them. With various rounds, individual questions and a split into questions for each team its well put together and gives you a flavor of the Pub Quiz League, albeit in 1988, but the questions aren't dated at all
as current affairs has been avoided.

All in all this is an excellent little book full of great questions. Puts some modern day titles to shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment